How should I prepare my child for the entrance examination?
The entrance exam covers the first five years of elementary school. If students have worked well and successfully, they should pass the entrance exam without needing to study extensively.
How many students take the entrance exam?
Between 400 and 450 students take the entrance exam.
What does the entrance exam involve?
The exam lasts three hours and consists of several different tests. In order for us to guide your child appropriately in our classrooms, we will ask him or her to write a short essay (first language), as well as grammar and reading tests (first language). The exam continues with a math and academic skills component. In addition, students will complete a second language exam in order to allow us to guide them in regular or enriched classes.
How many students attend Villa Maria?
The French and English sectors have about 700 students each.
What is the average number of students per class?
Each class has an average of 31 students.
Is Villa Maria a multi-ethnic environment?
At Villa Maria, students come from 49 different nationalities and speak 42 languages. This cultural mosaic enriches our school and is highly stimulating for our students.
Are there ways to ease the transition from elementary to High School?
At Villa Maria, we support students as they transition to our school. In August, we have a welcome squad that is assigned to mentor new students. As students grow more accustomed to the school, we strongly encourage them to get involved in school life (sports, activities, co-curricular activities) to continue meeting new friends. Our teaching team also meets several times at the beginning of the year to determine whether students require additional support or assistance.
Who do I contact if my child is having academic difficulties or adjustment problems?
Your first contact is the assistant director. He will act as the link between your child and your child’s teachers. Once the problem is identified, the assistant director may recommend talking with other resource people such as the guidance counselor or the director of educational services.
How much time should my child spend hours on homework each night?
Secondary 1 students should spend a maximum of two hours a day on homework.
What happens if we take a vacation outside scheduled Holidays on the school calendar?
This is not recommended. Your child may be penalized for missing exams or classes.
Who should I notify for lateness or an absence?
You must call the school secretary.
(514) 484-4950, ext. 1639.
(514) 484-4950, ext. 1633.
Can students leave campus at lunchtime?
Students are not allowed to leave campus during lunchtime. However, they can eat outside in good weather.
What is the best means of transport to get to Villa Maria?
College Villa Maria is accessible by various means of transit:
- By Metro: Orange Line. The Villa-Maria metro station is located close to the school.
- By commuter train: The Vaudreuil-Hudson, Candiac and St-Jérôme lines stop at the Vendôme station, one stop before the Villa-Maria Metro station.
- By bus: Buses 24, 103 and 162 stop at the Villa-Maria Metro station. Buses 17 and 138 pass two blocks from the school.
- By car. Please note that cars must enter via the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce entrance (between Grey and Claremont). Consult the access map.
PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION
Why choose a private school?
- Generally, students perform better academically. We closely monitor success rates and entrance to CEGEPs. We draw on this data to make sure we provide proper teaching and support for students and teachers. As a result, we continue to achieve high success rates.
- Private schools place special emphasis on values. Our beliefs, which are transmitted to our students and faculty, are shared with the families who choose our school. They believe, as we do, that education is paramount in the life of a child.
- In the private sector, expectations for behaviour and academic success are generally higher than in the public sector. We provide students with the opportunity and tools they need to really concentrate on learning without being distracted.
- Students are often invited to participate in meaningful cultural activities and a wide variety of sports activities.
- We strive to provide facilities and equipment that exceed the expectations of young people and allow them to explore all the avenues they are interested in.
- Private schools are on the cutting edge of education. By incorporating new education technologies, we help lead the way in pioneering new teaching methods.
Are private school fees tax deductible?
No. There is no deduction. Only costs related to childcare are deductible.
Do private school teachers need a special certification?
In Quebec, private schools that receive Ministry funding are required to hire teachers who meet provincial educational requirements. In addition, at Villa Maria, our teachers must complete 10 hours of professional training per year.
What exactly does "private school" mean?
In Quebec, education works on a two-tier system. There are private schools funded by the government, and other private schools that are not.
Is Villa Maria a co-ed school?
Recent research shows that co-ed education is rich with many benefits for students. Everyday contact between boys and girls fosters mutual understanding that greatly facilitates contacts with the opposite sex in the future. That's why we have gradually integrated boys into our school.
According to our estimates, boys will represent 5% of Secondary 1 students in 2016. By 2020, it is expected to be 25% to 35%.
Boys can now apply to enter Villa Maria. However, current students will complete their schooling in all-girl classes.